Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A very special vet...

I have been blessed (as have my animals) in having some outstanding veterinarians who have helped them in their lives.  Veterinarians are not always given the accolades (IMHO) that they should be given. They work long hours, are reminded on occasion that they are not MD's yet they have to know the physiology of so many different species, and have to work on patients who can't even communicate to them.  In the past, I have had a vet who would commute from her home in Idaho to Southern California (on weekends).  Colt had a dentist (oral surgeon) who commuted from Canada to give him a root canal (He would work 2 weekends a month at our local specialty hospital).  But the one I made this card for is a vet who has treated my animals (off and on) for the last 17 years.  He actually works in a city that is 90 minutes away (by car), but on Saturdays, he comes back to our hospital because he has such a loyal customer base (and quite frankly, I believe people demanded to get him back).  When I think of him, I'm reminded of one of my favorite authors and people... James Herriot.  (aka James Wight).  

He must have heard through the office grapevine of Fred's passing and left a condolence voicemail on my phone.  Who does that ?  He hasn't even seen Fred in years (except for 1 exam when this problem started 2 weeks ago)!

SO, here is the card....
 The image is from Hero Arts (wood block at Michaels).  Coloring is with Copics.  Liquid Pearls for the drops and Spiced Marmalade ink blending (Distress Ink) a la Britta Swiderski.  Martha Stewart butterfly punch was used.  Lastly, the sentiment came from Inkadinkdo's clear stamps from Michaels ("Thanks").  I also put Stickles on some of the flowers.



And here is the inside:
See yesterday's post as the recipe is on there.


4 comments:

  1. You are so thoughtful and thank God for such wonderful people that become vets! I've had the pleasure and unhappy times with many too. Wonderful card, he'll will appreciate your thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a very beautiful card for a special person. I have a great vet, but I don't think he would do something like this. I did have a family doctor at one time though, who would go to great lenghts to make sure her patients were well taken care of. She called me one Sat. morning when I was at my due date for my last baby. Said she was going out of town for the day and just wanted to make sure that I was ok. And then she gave me the phone number of the people she was visiting, in case I went into labor. This was before cell phones. I thought this was amazing.
    Theresa in Kitimat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that's precious. I have been going to the same clinic for Kodi for a couple of years now, and have seen a different vet each time (my choice). I did that to try to find the one I liked best. :) The most recent is a young female, and she was AMAZING with Kodi. She really knew her stuff, and I loved her demeanor. Yup, at one time, I wanted to be a vet. That was until I took my cat in (I was 11 years old) to have an abscess drained - and I watched the whole thing. Bleccch....no more vet for me. LOL. I'm so glad you have great vets. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Naomi! And I know what you mean about great vets. We've had a few come and go at our local surgery but the head vet has been there a long time now and he is wonderful. And two great part-timers who are also friends through dog-training... we're pretty lucky here . They have such a hard job, with patients who can't tell them anything and some owners who observe very little!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not accept comments from Anonymous individuals.