Friday, August 20, 2010

Gamsol (aka Odorless Mineral Spirits) and Prismacolor Pencils

And you thought I was kidding when I said I'm slow...

I've completed 2 projects since I last posted. I'm excited to showcase them here on my blog. Unfortunately, I'm having a wee-bit of trouble with my video editing. To view it today, you would have to tilt your head 90 degrees to watch my video. So, please bear with me while I try to figure out how to edit and I will post these items as soon as I can.

Today,I was finally able to work with my "Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner" (available at Michaels) and my Prismacolor pencils. I've been so busy with my projects that I had only been able to color in an image but I hadn't yet worked in the OMS (odorless mineral spirit).
I dipped a small make-up sponge into the OMS and then dabbed the blending stump (see commentary below) onto the sponge. I then made small circular motions on the lighter colored areas (the hair) and then worked on the darker colors. WOW! I was very happy with the end result. Granted, it's not shaded like a professional (Marlene at www.disguisedasagrownup.blogspot.com) would do it but for my first time... I'm very pleased with it. It gives the image a softer feel... like butter.


If you should decide to try this technique, get the blending STUMP as opposed to the Prismacolor Blending PENCIL. I have that also... and frankly, I find it useless. I made the mistake of buying the Pencil. I've tried to find videos on the net that use the pencil but it seems that most people use the stump (with the OMS). I found the stump at Michaels near the color pencils. The manufacturer is Artist's Loft.

I am excited to work with more images and the Gamsol. Again, I'm slow... like Stimpy, my desert tortoise.







2 comments:

  1. It looks GREAT!!! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..nice post...the turtle is so cute...heheheh..lol....


    bestessays.com
    regards,
    badloi

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not accept comments from Anonymous individuals.